29 August 2007
Its a busy time of year, much busier than last year. On top of heavy workloads and planning for the wedding (Sunshine :), we've been trying to get some finishing touches on renovations done before our big day. We have the kitchen in, complete with our $60 dishwasher! :) man, its great to have a dishwasher. Mike helped us put in a window last weekend, now its just a little bit of plastering and painting before our open plan living space is complete. We're hoping to put in some glass doors onto a deck before the wedding. Richard is over here 2 weeks prior and has a lot of experience building such things... time to see the bank? More updates on the renovations here.
28 August 2007
Have been working on a new kitchen for a while - details coming, but have just installed a window over the sink. Was pretty straight forward actually.
- Pulled the Gib away to expose the studs.
- Cut half the studs away to install a lintel beam across the top so as to support the studs to be removed for the window
- Drill out the corners of the window through the external wall
- Cut the hole for the window in the external
- Place another lintel across the top, chipping the outside of the studs (actually, Mike and I decided to just take out the studs and put the beams in - not need for chipping)
- Cut out the studs allowing for a cross nog to support the base of the window
- Insert window from outside, pack and check level
- Flashing was as per original way (scribes etc) as this window sits under an eve and get now weather. Used treated H3 clear timber.
- Sealed the scribes etc with exterior no-more-gaps
- Gib up interior, ready for frame, sill and painting.
15 August 2007
We should have done this sooner. Its sad but true, we 2 need 2 cars!! Public transport in this town is a bit of a joke, and riding the bike can't be done most of the time (force winds, rain, snow, mad cars, cold, shopping, dog, all the excuses). So Sunshine bought herself a small car. (Actually, the bank owns most of it - interest free overdraft while she's a student). I don't drive the big van around anymore, so we save a lot of petrol there, and Sunshine has access to a car she can drive. Now, why do we have the van again?